Things To Do For the Non-Birder
Located just one hour from Orlando's famous theme parks, Florida's Space Coast offers many local alternatives for non-birders. We have a very active cultural community with numerous art galleries and four playhouses that offer a variety of theatrical performances. We recommend some Festival events as well. visitspacecoast.com - artsbrevard.com
In and near Titusville
- Tour the Titusville Historic Museum (downtown Titusville)
- Tour the Space Walk of Fame and Museum (downtown Titusville)
- Visit the quaint shops and art galleries in Downtown Titusville, then have lunch in one of the great restaurants.
- Visit the Titusville Fishing Pier and the Manatee Viewing Deck at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge to look for manatees and dolphins
- Tour the Police Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Tour the Valiant Air Command Warbird Air Museum
- Tour the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex and take a bus tour
- Try an airboat trip - an exciting way to spend an afternoon or morning and not JUST for the birds
- Take a kayak trip - local tour companies are available to assist you
- Visit the Enchanted Forest Sanctuary
- Visit the Jungle Adventures attraction and Fort Christmas Historical Park in Christmas, FL
- Watch a rocket launch: at the time of printing, an Atlas V was scheduled for January 26
In Cocoa Beach
- Visit Ron Jon Surf Shop, The Dinosaur Store and Cocoa Beach Pier
- Take a pontoon boat or kayak tour of the Indian River Lagoon
- At Port Canaveral, visit the Exploration Tower, Jetty Park and waterfront restaurants
- Cocoa Village is filled with unique shops, restaurants and art galleries
- Tour the Liberty Bell Museum and visit the Eau Gallie Arts District and Downtown Melbourne for shopping, restaurants and art galleries
- Visit the Brevard Zoo - worth the short drive south on I-95
Family activities offered at the Festival include:
- Festival Exhibit Center and Art Show & Exhibit Fair
- Numerous wildlife and adventure travel classroom talks
- Saturday Scavenger Hunt – start at the Space Coast Audubon booth
- Intro to Birding: Young Birder's Edition*
- Barn Owl Pellet Dissection and Barn Owl Talk*
- Port Canaveral Boat Tour*
- Historic Sites of Canaveral National Seashore field trip*
- Historic Pritchard House Tour with docents in period dress*
- Wildflowers, Plants and Other Things of the North Brevard Area field trip*
- Visit the Enchanted Forest Sanctuary and Sams House for the Festival's listed activities there*
Depending on age, budding-birder kids may be happy being with dad or mom but may tire of the trail-trekking. The Festival has many events that are family-oriented and can be registered for together for convenience. Please check dates, times and availability as part of the registration process.
The last seven activities (*) require that you complete a Festival Registration and pay that fee and pay for the individual activities as space is limited. Single day registrations are available. There is no registration fee for children under 12 that are accompanied by an adult, however they still need to register and pay for events that have a limited number of attendees.
The Afternoon Socials in the Exhibit Center provide a great meeting place where you can enjoy a beverage and snack and meet new or old friends. Admission is by Festival Registration ID.
We are available by phone to discuss alternative preferences and suggested non-birder and family-oriented activities. Contact the Festival office at 321-268-5224.